We’ve had our fair share of ER visits and hospital clinic and doctors visits for sure, but it’s taken up until child #5 to have our first hospital admission!
I know a lot of people were praying for Malachi the last several days so I wanted to say thank you! I think prayers made a big difference! The doctors were impressed with how quickly he improved.
I thought I’d write up what happened so that everyone interested could find out what all went down. I warn you, this
might be will be long!
Saturday during the day, Malachi was fine. He had a bit of a runny nose for a day or two but he wasn’t sick or miserable so I figured it was allergies.
Saturday night, things went downhill. He was up tons. He would barely sleep a half hour at a time. He was restless. Around 3am he felt hot and was breathing hard so I gave him Advil and tried to settle him again. A little after 4am, he was breathing harder. He was heaving his head and shoulders with each breath. I woke hubby, told him I was heading to the ER, got dressed, and off we went.
When we got there we were seen right away. His oxygen sats were 87-88% and they brought us right to a room. No waiting when a baby’s not breathing well!
They gave him some nebulized epineprhine a couple of times (this is what helped the most when he had bronchiolitis a month ago) and suctioned him, which got him breathing a little easier but his sats weren’t improving. The Dr. said that with a family history of asthma and with Malachi’s eczema, he was leaning more toward to asthma side of things, prescribed prednisone (gave one dose there, and a script for 4 days) and ventolin, and sent us home.
This is where I learned my biggest lesson. Every nurse-y part of me was thinking WHAT is he doing sending home a baby whose oxygen is still sitting at 88, 89%? I didn’t like it. But he said that the pred would start to work in about an hour, that he wasn’t as noisy or working as hard to breathe, and sometimes it just takes a while for sats to recover. And I went home. We’d been there less than 2 hours. Mistake.
He was already breathing harder by the time we got home. We only live about 15 minutes from the hospital. I tried to nurse him but he kept unlatching to catch his breath. He vomited everything he had eaten, and likely the prednisone as well. Hubby and the kids were up at this point. Malachi fell asleep and was breathing hard, retracting lots. Hubby decided that he would take the kids to the pharmacy (the only one open on a Sunday near us is about a half hour away) and I would bring Malachi back in. Thankfully it was after shift change, so there would be a new Dr. on now.
Off we went back. This time Malachi’s sats were around 90%..only slightly improved, although he was working harder to breathe now. This Dr too, decided to go the route of treating for both asthma and bronchiolitis protocols, since it could be either. They gave 8 puffs of ventolin and sent us off for a chest xray to rule out pneumonia, since he’d had a fever in the early morning.
When we returned, Malachi fell asleep, and was extremely hard to rouse. Calling him, tickling his face, rubbing him, playing with his hands and toes, no reaction for almost a full minute. I like to think of myself as being pretty medically level-headed, but when the nurses are getting worried I get worried. Another nurse heard our voices getting louder, trying to wake him up, and came in asking if we were Ok. Finally Malachi woke up but he was still drowsy and lethargic. When a baby is working hard to breathe for a long time, eventually they can get too tired to keep trying.
I think it was about this time that the Dr decided we should head to CHEO, the children’s hospital about an hour away. She went off to call them while the nurses did vitals again, and got him ready to transfer. I ran out to the car, grabbed the car seat from it, and before long the ambulance was there for us.
The paramedics were great and instead of strapping Malachi into their infant harness, seat-belt installed his car seat to the stretcher so he could be in his own seat. Malachi cried for about half of the trip but he finally settled and got some rest. His oxygen was sitting around 92% with oxygen blowing into his face (they tucked the tube under his car seat harness.) The trip was uneventful, with Malachi eventually sleeping and me answering questions for the medics.
I’ll try to post more tomorrow! This is ending up longer than I thought!