This is delicious! I got the base recipe for the Banana Cake out of my Amish Friends Cookbook by Wanda Brunstetter. (Published by Barbour Publishing, Inc. Used by permission.) Banana and chocolate just go so well together that I added chocolate chips to the recipe. This recipe is super easy to put together so even young children can help. My kids love mashing the bananas with a potato smasher!
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (you can make sour milk by adding a Tbsp of lemon juice to the milk)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Cream together the sugar and shortening. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each egg.
- Mix in the banana and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dry mixture to the batter alternately with the milk.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake in a greased 9×13 pan for 45 minutes.
This is great on it’s own, or you can serve with vanilla ice cream or garnish with whipped cream. Enjoy!Disclosure: Affiliate link included in this post.