I really wanted to make myself a woven wrap that would be thin enough to use for a hot summer but strong enough to hold a toddler, or even preschooler, if need be. I did some research and decided to order some osnaburg fabric from ebay. Osnaburg is a cotton weave; thin but strong.
The fabric I got was nice and soft, especially after I washed it, but it was plain. There would have been nothing wrong with keep the fabric its natural colour; I just was in the mood to pretty it up a little bit. I did some more research then ordered some fiber reactive dye.
I decided to snow dye my wrap. I had a hard time finding a good tutorial on how to do this, especially for such a large piece of fabric (about 5 yards after shrinking) so I thought I’d write up what I did.
**I totally recommend trying a test-dye on a scrap piece of the same fabric. I did this and am glad I did. I had originally planned on doing 2 colours together but I didn’t like how the turned out together so I chose to do the dye job with just one colour in the end.
First, I soaked my washed and cut-t0-size fabric in water with soda ash dissolved in it.
Next, I spread out my fabric in the tub. Most tutorials show the dying happen in a basin or bin with a rack of some sort in the bottom to let the snow melt through; my fabric was much too long for this. I was able to spread it out pretty well in the tub and the tub drains water naturally so the melted snow had a place to go.
Next came the part when my hubby laughed at me; shoveling snow INTO the house. I covered the whole thing with a few inches. Then I poured my dye mixture onto it all over.
Next it was time to wait. And wait. For the snow to melt.
It took several hours to melt. In fact, I didn’t wait for it to melt completely because my husband needed to shower (his words, not mine!) There were only a few clumps of snow left by this point so I just rinsed it away.
I put the fabric into a small bin and covered it up with plastic wrap to set for the night.
In the morning, I rinsed it out then stuck it in the washing machine. I did a second rinse just to make sure all of the excess dye was out, then I dried it.
Here are some photos of the results.
I didn’t use quite enough dye so there are some plain areas a bit larger than I had expected, but you can’t tell when it’s wrapped up. I do like how the colours in the dye separated a little bit and give a sort of gradient effect.
I love it.
I know it’s starting to warm up a little bit out there but many places still have snow so there is still time for you try this out! If you don’t have snow, shaved ice works as well.