I have recently discovered fridge dough and love it! It’s a quick-to-make dough that you keep in your fridge and take out chunks as you need it. You can use it for buns, bread, cinnamon rolls, crescent rolls (or as a substitute for them in other recipes)…there are no limits! I found the original recipe on the MOMYS forum. I pretty much followed the recipe given, with the exception of reducing the amount of sugar I put in.
Fridge Dough Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar or honey (original recipe calls for 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup shortening (or butter)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup warm water
- 2-1/4 tsp yeast
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 6 cups flour (you can use all purpose, or up to half/half of white/whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- In a small bowl, combine yeast with warm water and let sit until foamy.
- In another bowl, mix the sugar, shortening, and boiling water. Add in eggs.
- Combine both mixtures, then add in flour and salt until well blended.
- Store in fridge in a covered bowl for at least 1 hour (but preferably overnight.)Keeps up to 2 weeks.
Pizza Roll Recipe
- a chunk of fridge dough (I used about 1/2 the dough batch)
- some pizza sauce
- some grated cheese
- pepperoni, or mushrooms, or leftover chicken breasts..whatever you want
- On a floured surface, roll your dough into a large circle. I used about 1/2 of the batch of fridge dough, and used 1/2 of that for each dough circle. You want it to be pretty thin; about 1/4 inch.
2. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into basically, a pizza. I made some larger “slices” and some that were more narrow..this was just experimentation on my part.
3. Spread some pizza sauce near the top edge of the dough slices, then top with your cheese and meat. You only need a little.
4. Roll them up!
5. (optional) I made some garlic butter (I just melted a couple of Tbsp of butter and added some minced garlic) and brushed it on top of the rolls.
6. Bake at 400F for about 17 minutes, or until golden brown on top. If you made them thicker, it might take a bit longer to bake.
**This recipe is linked up with the 4 Moms of 35+ Kids Holiday Recipe linky**