I love granola. I have fond memories of eating granola for breakfast when visiting my grandparents when I was a kid. I only learned last year that it’s super easy to make, which is fantastic since store-bought granola is so expensive. An extra bonus? Making this will make your kitchen smell so yummy!
Here is a basic recipe for making your own granola. This is a super easy recipe that even young children can help with.
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 cups rolled oats (most recipes say to use old fashioned oats. I could only find quick oats at the store, and the recipe still turned out fine.)
- nuts (chopped, optional)
- dried fruit (optional)
- coconut flakes (optional)
- Heat oven to 275F
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine brown sugar and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir vanilla and salt into the sugar water.
- In large bowl, combine oats, nuts, coconut, and sugar mixture. I find it easier to use my hands for this step to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Spread oats evenly onto the cookie sheets and bake about 45 mins (until golden brown.)
- If adding dried fruit, add it in after the granola is completely cooled. Store in airtight container.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can customize it to your tastes! Love maple flavour? You can add some pure maple syrup to the sugar mixture. Pick which dried fruits or nuts you prefer. You can use honey to replace some of the sugar. You can add cinnamon if you’d like. Experiment and make it your own!