Cream cheese was on sale when Louis went to the store the other day, so he picked up a few packs. Usually cream cheese is a luxury for us, so this was exciting! I decided to make a pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling. I found a few different recipes online, and changed them around a bit; this was the end result!
Pretty fantastic looking! Here is the recipe:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
*Preheat to 400F
- Beat eggs and sugar
- Add in the nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin puree. When combined, add in the flour.Line a cookie sheet (one that has raised edges!) with parchment paper.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture evenly over the paper. Try to keep the thickness the same.
- Bake for about 12 minutes
- While that is baking, spread out a clean dish towel and sprinkle it with icing sugar.
- Once the cake is baked, flip it onto the dish towel and carefully remove the parchment paper. Go slowly so that the cake doesn’t tear. Then, starting at a short end of the cake, roll it up with the dish towel.
- To make the cream cheese mixture, mix the cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar together.
- After the cake is fairly cooled, unroll it, and spread on the cream cheese mixture right to the edge, except leave about an inch at the bottom bare (this is so that when you roll it back up, any excess filling will not be squished out the end.)
- Trim off each end if you want a clean looking edge. Taste the trimmings for quality assurance.