I needed to use up some bananas that were going soft, so I decided to make banana bread. As I was reaching for the loaf pan, I saw the springform pans I bought a couple of months ago but hadn’t had a chance to use. Then I remembered that I needed to use up some apples as well. So, I totally winged a recipe, changing the banana bread recipe into an apple banana cake. And it turned out really good! It has 2 full apples, 2 full bananas, plus pure homemade applesauce in it, so I can feel like I’m being a BIT healthy when I have a piece.
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large ones, or 3 medium ones..if it’s not exactly one cup, that’s ok)
- 1/3 cup applesauce (I used unsweetened)
- 2 cups flour (I used 1 cup each of whole wheat and white flour)
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used brown because I realized too late that I was out of white sugar, and I think either would work fine)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil (I used a bit less)
- 2 large eggs
*You also need a 8 inch springform pan, or bake this in a dish that you can serve it directly out of.
Directions *Preheat your oven to 350F
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Beat eggs, then add them to the mix, along with the milk, applesauce, and oil.
- Mash your bananas, then add them to the mix as well.
- Peel, core, and slice your apples, then spread them out evenly on the bottom of your springform pan.
- Spread the batter over the apples.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until knife comes out clean from the center
Once I removed this from the oven, I made a quick icing sugar frosting for it. In a 2-cup measuring cup (for easy drizzling purposes), I put about 1/2 cup of icing sugar, then a splash of milk. Mix well, and add milk in TINY amounts until you get the consistency you want. I wanted mine fairly thin to just drizzle on top of the cake. I made several knife slits in the top of the cake before I drizzled on the icing sugar mixture.
Enjoy! If you try making this, please let me know how you liked it!