Since Tobi is not quite 4, this year will be my first time using any kind of curriculum. Last year I tried to just make up my own plans for learning activities, but I discovered that I need something already laid out for me to follow, or after a few weeks I’ll have run out of planned activities!
So, here is what I’m planning on using this year.
- I will use this for both kids. Annie’s a bit young, and Tobi’s a bit old for it, but I can adapt it as needed and it has all the main subjects laid out (math, letters, Bible, motor skills, etc.) I bought the 4yr old curriculum to use for next year, and to grab ideas from for Tobi this year if needed.
French: Louis is bilingual, and living so close to the country’s capital, knowing French is a huge asset. For French, I plan on reading French kids books, talking to the kids in French (this is where I struggle, because I’m very self-conscious about my horrible French accent), and using beginner French flash cards that I found on sale at Chapters.
Reading: I am registered for the You Can Read curriculum at 1+1+1=1, and plan on using activities and worksheets from this site to work on sight words with Tobi. And, of course, we’ll be reading lots and lots of books.
Gym: We’re thinking of getting the Nickledeon Fit for Wii, but we’d need to get the Wii Fit board too, so we have to see what finances allow. Or, does the regular Wii Fit have games suitable for preschoolers? I’ll also be trying to find some indoor active games that we can do for when the weather doesn’t allow for outside play.
Art: There are a lot of craft activities in the ABCJLM Curriculum that we’ll be using, and I’ve also received a big box of preschool activity ideas from a friend. I found a book full of Preschool Activities at a yard sale as well. If all else fails, you can’t go wrong with paint or crayons or glue and old magazines!
Science: I’m still looking for a good book or site for Science, preferably Christian oriented, for the kids. If anyone knows of a good resource, please let me know!
Supplemental: I’ve found several books and sites that I plan on using to supplement the curriculum.
- I have memberships to the Raising Rock Stars Preschool program at 1+1+1=1, and with Education Cubes.
- I’ve found some great ABC and counting activity books from the dollar store. I put the pages into plastic page protector sleeves and put them in duotangs so that Tobi can write and erase and redo them.
- I found dot-to-dot workbooks at Walmart for a couple of dollars each. One follows ABC sequence to complete the pictures, and the other is 1-25. I’ll use these to help teach Tobi alphabet and number sequencing since he loves dot-to-dot pictures. I’ll probably put these in sleeve protectors too, or in our Crayola Dry Erase Activity Boards.
- Books. Lots of lots of reading!
- Computer games. We have several education games that Tobi likes to play that teach early reading, counting, pattern sequencing, etc., etc.
I’m sure there’s more but this is all I could think of right now. There are tons of sites with activity and learning ideas out there!
What curriculum are you using this year?