This is going to be a bit long, but I want to make sure I explain things well so please, bear with me 🙂
I have a negative blood type, and hubby has a positive blood type. If you’re wondering what that has to do with anything, it means that if I have a baby with a positive blood type, my body could potentially start to create antibodies against the + blood, thinking it’s a foreign substance that’s dangerous. Now, usually this isn’t a problem because Doctors test for this, and if a pregnant woman and the baby’s father are Rh-incompatible (Rh is the – or + part of the blood), the mom will get a shot of something called Rhogam during the pregnancy, and another shot after the baby is born if the baby is Rh+ (which my daughter is.)
I had blood taken a few weeks ago, and found out that despite having had the Rhogam during all 3 pregnancies, and after my daughter was born, my body has started to make those misinformed antibodies. Right now nothing is at a dangerous level, praise God.
I need to keep getting my blood checked to make sure the antibody level don’t rise. If the levels rise to a dangerous level (1:16 or higher, and my levels are 1:2), risks to baby are miscarriage/stillbirth, severe newborn jaundice, anemia, or brain damage.
Right now I’m most concerned about the jaundice; my son had fairly severe jaundice when he was born, and now we live in a rural area that, if this baby were to get too bad of jaundice, he’d be admitted to a children’s hospital an hour away.
I’ll have these antibodies forever, and each time I am pregnant with an Rh+ baby, the levels will probably increase, making it more dangerous for the baby each time.
You might have read old posts of mine that talk about making the decision to be “quiverfull”; that is, letting God decide the size of our family. (You can check for old posts with the label “quiverfull” to find out more.)
I’ve been struggle a LOT with this lately. The idea absolutely terrifies me. The thought of going through labour any more times is probably the biggest fear. I’ve been praying for guidance regarding this, and now I don’t know if this is a sign from God that we should stop having kids here, and maybe pursue adoption, or if this is a test that we should continue to trust in God despite the risks.
So, if you’ve been reading this all and you’ve reached this far (thank you!), please pray for me that:
1) Baby will stay safe and be born without complications, specifically NO jaundice
2) That antibody levels will not go up
3) For guidance for my husband and I regarding having more children after this
Thanks so much!