Ok, so maybe this isn’t the best photo to use to advertise a recipe…or maybe it is? I didn’t get a chance to take a picture beforehand and this is what was left after supper. Talk about proof of satisfaction! Everyone enjoyed this meal. Hubby requested it to happen again in the near future and all of the kids ate it, even my pickiest one. Gabriel even had 3rds!
My husband grabbed a bunch of bone-in chicken breasts that were on sale last week so I’ve been looking for and making new recipes to bake chicken. I tried cooking some in the crock pot but that didn’t work too well because there are so many tiny bones that become hard to find when the meat and bones all fall apart. This recipe is one that I threw together, taking ideas from a few different recipes I found online. You only need a few ingredients that you likely have on hand to make this delicious meal!
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts (you can use boneless, just adjust cooking time accordingly)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 kinds of cheese — I used a mild white cheddar, and a medium orange cheddar. Use what you prefer though, and mix it up! Swiss and parmesan would be a good mix, too!
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup EACH of mayo and sour cream
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place your chicken breasts in your baking pan and put a layer of one of your cheese on top. I sliced some of the white cheddar for this part.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, sour cream, garlic, and pepper. Spread over the chicken.
- Put a layer of your 2nd cheese choice on top. I used shredded medium cheddar here.
- Arrange your onion around the chicken.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
I didn’t measure anything when I made mine, so measurements are approximate. You can increase or decrease any of the ingredients to suit your tastes or family size. I served this with rice and mixed veggies. The extra sauce from the chicken cooking was great on the rice.